LIDODERM® (lidocaine patch 5%) is used to relieve the pain of post-herpetic neuralgia, also referred to as after-shingles pain. Apply only to intact skin with no blisters.
Important Safety Information
- You should not use this product if you are sensitive to local anesthetics such as lidocaine, or to any of the other ingredients in LIDODERM.
- Even a used LIDODERM patch contains a large amount of lidocaine. A small child or a pet could suffer serious adverse effects from chewing or swallowing a new or used LIDODERM patch. Store and dispose of patches out of the reach of children, pets, and others. Never reuse a patch.
- LIDODERM patches should be worn for no more than 12 hours a day. Applying the patches for a longer time or using more than 3 patches could cause serious reactions.
- Fold used patches so that the adhesive side sticks to itself, and safely discard used patches or pieces of cut patches where children and pets cannot get to them.
- Avoid the use of external heat sources, such as heating pads or electric blankets, as this has not been studied.
- Avoid contact of LIDODERM with the eye. If contact occurs, immediately wash the eye with water or saline and protect it until sensation returns.
- Be sure to tell your healthcare professional if you have liver disease, are pregnant or nursing, or are taking medication for irregular heartbeat. For such people, LIDODERM should be used with caution.
- Allergic reactions, though rare, can occur.
- During or immediately after using LIDODERM, the skin around the patch may develop a change in color, colored spots, irritation, itching, flaking of the skin, rash, bruising, swelling, pimple-like raised skin, a cyst containing fluid, pain, burning, or abnormal sensation. These reactions are generally mild and go away on their own within a few minutes to hours. Other reactions may include dizziness, headache, and nausea. Tell your healthcare professional if you experience any of these symptoms while using LIDODERM.
- Only your healthcare professional can determine if LIDODERM is right for you. Always follow your healthcare professional’s instructions when using LIDODERM.
- Please see the LIDODERM Important Patient Information and full Prescribing Information and discuss them with your healthcare professional.